Page 1 of 1

Problem handling big model

Posted: May 2nd, 2017, 7:20 pm
by senerb

First of all I would like to thank simantics SD team for such a great software, it has been very useful!

After working over a month fully dedicated to build a model on simantics SD, I have built so far a pretty big model, and within the last two days my model has grown even more (around 150 elements so far, expecting it to be around 500). I have added many modules, functions and variables; here comes the problem:

It seems like the model is too big for the software to handle, every time I try to edit the model (aka adding auxiliars, editing relationships, etc) it laggs/freezes like crazy. I need to wait some (many) seconds in order to see changes.

I know for a fact that it is not my pc, considering I have 64 GB RAM and my processor is a i7-7700, it shouldn't give me any kind of problems.

Do you know any way to solve this problem? An optimal way to handle big models?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Best regards,

Re: Problem handling big model

Posted: May 3rd, 2017, 11:34 am
by Tuomas Miettinen
Hmm, it's known that diagram operations are quite slow but I can't recall having that bad performance, with 150 elements at least. Maybe if your model forms a structure of deep hierarchical modules, that is, for instance if you have ten modules on the top layer and they all have ten modules within and so on, the total number of variables might grow bigger than what we've tested and bring up some performance issues. On the other hand, modularization might also help, if you have a lot of variables on a diagram, encapsulating them might help. Although if you only have 150 elements on a diagram it should work still relatively well, at least not to give delays of seconds. Other than that, I can't really figure out what the problem might be.

Re: Problem handling big model

Posted: May 24th, 2017, 8:46 pm
by senerb
Thanks for your reply. In case you are curious about my problem, for some reason after working a lot in a short period, it becomes laggy. But it is easily solved by restarting the program, so it has not been a big issue since I figured that out. :)